For the past few weeks my life has been revolving around planning & preparing for Girls Camp. Although it was a blast.... I'm very happy to say that it is OVER! Alot of stress & work was involved!!!!!!!!
Every other year our stake has decided to have each ward do their own girls camp. So this year was our ward. A camp director didn't really pan out for us, & so since I'm the young women president, that lot kind of fell on me. Although I do have to say that much of the planning/responsibilities were very nicely picked up by my amazing counselors. I've been blessed with an AMAZING presidency!!!!!!!! Sean was our cook/camp puter-upper, & a priesthood member so he did alot of work too. We went "camping" camping with tents & all, so it was alot of fun. I do have to say that I don't think that I would ever want to be a young women president/camp director/mom all at the same time again!
We left Wednesday- Sean was planning on going up Tuesday to have everything set up for us, but as luck had it... the transmission on the truck went out on Sunday. Be-a-utiful! So the awesome transmission men worked their butts off & got it to us at about 6pm Tuesday night. In order to tow anything, they ask you to put 100 miles on it... so we didnt' really get to start packing everything up til about 11pm. You can imagine what our house looked like when we left.
We don't have alot of active young women, & at the last minute one girl couldn't come, so we had 5 girls this year. Our theme was "Survivor". & we had planned alot in "tribes", but even though we had 5 girls, they were really awesome about working together & we substituted a leader for the lacking group a few times.
We taught certifications & then had "challenges" to to test their knowledge & then we did alot of just fun challenges too. It was a blast :)
Here are the girls after building an emergency shelter.... This was their "tower of babel" challenge. I stole my sister Nancie's idea & they had to built towers out of spaghetti (dry of course) & marshmallows.
Here is Brother Johnson & Sammy.. matching camo & all.
Oh my gosh!!! Sams "schedule" was obliterated last week. We are still recovering! He's woken up every morning at the same time we did at girls camp since we got home :( I just want to sleep in!!!!!!!
One of our challenges was to make an outfit out of brown paper bags, crete paper, tape & toilet paper.. oh & anything laying around in nature. Me & Sister Rapier got paired together & since shes a ridiculously amazing seamstress.. I just did what she told me to. Please! Blow this next picture up & really look at it... she's hilarious!!!
yes, that is a pine tree bustle.
more of the girls & the outfits...
One night we had some amazing spaghetti for dinner. however, there was a little misjudgment on how much spaghetti was needed... needless to say... Red was in heaven!
April & Nichelle before the hike..
On the third day we hiked down to the Blue Ridge Resevoir & went swimming.
There were 3 babies with us... & it was alot of fun... & entertainment as well.. Sam & Charlie were about as dirty as any two baby boys could be! We gave Charlie the spic n span award at the end of camp. his mom thought that was pretty funny.
the 3 musketeers. Amalie, Sam & Charlie
Friday our bishopric came up & we had an awesome dinner ( stakes & potatoes!!) dessert (cupcakes & pie) . We played a few games & then had an awesome devotional!! Sister Elsberry gave an awesome devotional on choice & accountability & then we had a testimony meeting. It was really nice! & there is something really awesome about sitting around a campfire with your ward family.
Here is Sean & Brother Duce packing up the last day... ready to head home!
I did this 2 years ago & I thought I was stressed out then. I remember I went by my parents house to pick up a few things we were borrowing & unloaded my emotions on my dad (he's always good for a good cry-listen). He told me this... the only thing that really matters is that these girls have fun & feel the spirit... don't stress the rest. I had to keep telling myself that over & over again this year. What a wise dad I have :)
5 comments:
wow. It looks like a lot of fun and A LOT of work. I have trouble with quarterly activities and the primary program. I couldn't imagin a week. My hat is off to you ;).
Oh Blue Ridge! Remember singing "Just around the riverbend" as we canoed all over? Oh the memories! You make an awesome young womens leader/camp director! Plus taking Sammy camping so often...sheesh! You rock!
Yeah! It's all over--and it looks like it was a success.
OMG Julia you are amazing!! And to have Sean to help you and go along with all you had to do AND all of your ward leaders who were there to help too!! These girls must have had a ball!!! Memories that they (and you) will never forget!! Yes, the kingdom needs all of us!! We are all so very, very blessed!!
I love all your pictures of camp, I definitely need copies. I agree that camp went very well! I think that the girls had a great time, and your dad's wise words are very true, it is about the girls. Man, but sometimes we let stress get the best of us anyway, or at least I do. But all and all it was a fabulous camp. You did such a great job.
Post a Comment