Friday, September 5, 2008

Frustration

*****WARNING********* This is a venting session. You don't have to read... but I will write. Today was nuts. I'm really getting towards the point in my pregnancy where I dread getting up and going to work. I just want to sleep in & not have to move my big fat stomach around & bend over to pick things up at work. I seriously almost called in this morning. I did let them know awhile ago that after this month is over, I will not be working Fridays anymore. WOHOO!!!
I had a scaling & root planing patient today (deep cleaning) where I have to numb the patient up to do the cleaning because it's either been so long since they have had a cleaning that the tarter has hid far underneath their gums, or they are just really freaking lazy & don't take care of their teeth, or both combined. This women only had 17 out of her 32 teeth, so she was sceduled to have her whole mouth numbed up & clean the whole thing. To say this woman was a little off is an understatement. I gave her 3 carpules of anesthetic- gave her 4 different blocks twice & then ended up infiltrating each individual tooth & she swore she wasn't numb. As a matter of fact, the more anesthetic I gave her, the more she jumped & moaned & carried on in the chair. Did I mention she is like 60? Far too old to act like such a ridiculous baby? I seriously thought I would lose it on this lady. Then she told me not to give her any more anesthetic because her throat (she pointed to down where her thyroid is) was numb now. Heaven only knows how this could possibly be accomplished, but she was convinced. I did finish the cleaning & when she sat up to leave she asked me not to tell anyone in the office that she was a difficult patient- it's not all in my head, she claimed- I just have really sensitive teeth. yeah... sure.
Then my last patient was a 15 year old girl, which was just fine... except her freaking annoying 5 year old brother, who spoke so ridiculously ill that I couldn't understand him, trailed his way back into the office after I was a few minutes into the cleaning & wandered around the operatory asking questions that I couldn't understand & finding things & claiming they were his. parent, do not be so stupid to think its ok to let your 5 year old child wander around a medical office.
thats it... I'm done venting.

2 comments:

Jo Dee said...

Deep breath breathe in breathe out... feel better?

Carrie Medford said...

If I were you I would have walked that 5 year old to the lobby and told his mom to keep an eye on him and then tell her how dangerous it can be for him and relay a whole bunch of made-up horror stories of how he could injure/maim/kill himself and that you can't keep him out of that stuff while cleaning the daughter's teeth. Then you'll never have that 5 year old running around the operatory again! I love scaring people with worst-case scenarios to get them to do what you want! I too am getting to the uncomfortable stages of the pregnancy. Too bad there's still like 70+ days to go! I'll hang in there with ya!