Sunday, March 16, 2008

Seneca fun :)

Yesterday Sean & I went with our good friends Matt & Kaaryn to the Seneca Lake area & explored around & shot up some bean cans & spoons. Ok, that sounds really wierd, but we had alot of fun. We drove up in the morning & met them there. We've had so much rain this year that the desert is really green this year & there is alot of blooming flowers we don't always get to see. This first picture was on our way there. We are around Gold Canyon here, but there was so many blooming flowers! I couldn't believe how much yellow & purple we saw!
We bought boxed lunches from Jasons Deli ( awesome!) & headed up there. Sean brought a few of his guns so we all had some target shooting. And by target shooting I mean shooting old bottles & cans, not to mention an old boot & some silverware, off of a piece of wood. This next picture is Matt shooting an SKS.
Here is Sean loading the weapons & sitting on the porch of an old abandoned mining house.
Ok, here is where the pictures get good.... me! Ok, just kidding . Sean said that he was getting an action picture when he took this because I was in the middle of shooting it. I'm shooting his Rueger 9mm... pretty bad-a , huh? Not really, I actually had to have him remind me how to shoot it cause its been awhile. I actually prefer shooting his 22 rifle cause it isn't as loud & dosn't have as much kick. I did, however shoot a few spoons & cans- one spoon I shot when aiming for the can, but whose counting?
Here is Kaaryn giving the bean can hell. I think she was actually shooting the objects she was aiming for. If I remember right, this was only the second time she's shot a gun, & was showing me up with her aiming abilities!

and then there was Sean... He is also shooting the SKS.
here is Kaaryn working the 22
Luckily, Kaaryn brought an extra coat cause it was chilly!! It probably wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't so windy! Here is a nice pic of me & Sean
I love this next picture for several reasons. Sean shot this spoon & was very proud of how it not only blew off the top, but bent it as well. I love how Sean found it necessary to put the gun in the picture so the viewer would have a better idea of what exactly could cause such an awesome thing to happen, but I love the look on Matts face even more. Kaaryn & I talked a little bit about how men are really just big boys & I think this picture embodies that statement.
We brought Alex & Red with us on our little excursion. Sean says its like Disneyland for them when we take them out into nature & let them run around. When we started shooting they reacted very differently. We kept having to tell Alex to stay out of the way. Red, however, ran away at the first shot. I took this picture cause I thought it was funny. I'm not sure if you can really see him, but he ran to the very end of the path & sat there. He is the little black dot at the end of the path, if you zoom in you can see him.

The area around Seneca Lake was mined alot around the 50's, so one of Sean's favorite things to do is to explore around old mine shafts... sounds really safe, right? After shooting we hiked (or walked) down a path that had several mine shafts. This was the first we came to. There were two openings into the mountain where they had been mining. Sean is still unhappy that I forbade him to enter into the boarded up old mining areas. Somehow he just dosn't understand how much I want an alive husband.
So nice to know that mining men have good hygine in mind! We found these toothbrushes in the area where they dump their mining findings & sift it. Cool, huh?!
This is the view from where we stopped. There was another shaft right behind me in this picture that we stopped at. This is the best part of my story. I'm mad now that Ididn't take a picture of it, but there was a huge structure made of wood that led up to a mine in the mountain, about 30 feet up. Sean decided that it was safe to scale it, with the help of some cable hanging from it. The dogs also though that climbing the mountain was a good idea. Luckily, nobody was harmed in the shooting of these photots.


Matt & Sean

Here is Sean attempting to test the depth of the canyon using Matt.

Now it wasn't enough to play on 50 year old abondoned wood structrures for Sean. I unfortunatlely pointed out a hole up on the mountain further up, not supported by any structures. Sean was determined to look in it, so these next pictures are him scaling up & hanging out in the hole.





He really wanted to make sure I took a picture of him up there.
I took this picture as Sean was breaking into song... "Climb Every Mountain!!!"
Here is the four of us
and Matt & Kaaryn at the top of the waterfall near Seneca Lake.

Great fun! We are very lucky to have friends who hand out with us, despite how crazy we can be at times... like swinging from old wood! We are so sad that they will be moving soon :( Thanx guys!

2 comments:

Brenay Family said...

Looks beautiful! Jon and I were just noticing all the wildflowers on the way to the river the other day! Emma kept yelling all the colors she saw! You guys do so many fun weekend trips! Keep it up while you can! :)

kellibattraw said...

You guys are crazy, but it looks like a lot of fun! : )